Thursday, August 19, 2004

I've got the power!

Praise God, my church has come through and not only paid my power bill for the past month, but this month too. So I have a whole entire month until I have to pay it again, and then I won't be past due.

Now I only have to worry about my rent - but tomorrow's payday so I hope I have enough to cover it. Being poor sucks.

Socks are coming along nicely, finished off the top edge and now I'm just working on the leg. I may change my opinion once I get to the heel shaping. Like I said earlier, I've never done socks before. I do like using dpn's, but I don't know how my grandmother could stand using aluminum needles. I hate them. I prefer Balene II needles, though bamboo is OK. I even have some plastic needles that are not too bad, but the aluminum ones are just horrible.

My grandmother only used aluminum, I guess because there was no yarn shop around where she lived, and they were readily available at Woolworths or wherever it was she used to shop. And she almost always used Red Heart yarn for sweaters and blankets. She used real wool for socks and cotton for baby things, but afghans were ALWAYS Red Heart acrylic (at least when I was growing up.) I have a lap blanket she crocheted for me when I was 6, and the thing still looks like it did 30 years ago. I swear, when the end comes, all that will be left on earth will be cocroaches and Red Heart yarn.

I guess we are lucky to be living in a time where even at Wal-Mart we can buy soft yarns and comfortable needles (when they have the Balene needles in stock) and Hobby Lobby is close by, where we can get even MORE decent yarn and better needles, but the best thing is the yarn store we have now, where they have wonderful needles and just about any kind of yarn you could want, not to mention very helpful people who actually know how to knit.

It's good be alive!

No comments: