Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Playing Pretend

Yesterday my middle child made a house out of leggos and then pretended that there were little people living in it. While this may not seem to be a big accomplishment for an 8-yr old, I was moved to tears to see it. She has high-functioning autism, and she has NEVER done this before. She likes to build stuff with her blocks, leggos, and most especially ello, but never before has she made up a story or anything about what she's made. She's never pretended to be a mommy to her dolls, doesn't play Barbies (not that that's a bad thing), doesn't pretend to be characters from TV, movies, or books. Basically no pretend play. So I guess her therapy sessions are working.

Finished the socks. I blocked them last night and will probably post a pic tomorrow (as I'm on my way to work right now.

1 comment:

Amie said...

Thank you for sharing that!!! What an amazing accomplishment for her - I'm so excited for you!

When I was in high school, I worked with an autistic girl who tried to hug me after a full year. She normally didn't like to be touched, but at the end of the year, she opened her arms and leaned on me... it still brings tears to my eyes to think of it.

Thanks for sharing... good luck!